Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Relection:Christmas time

Christmas Time is a holiday were people's true nature is shown. In my family, Christmas is not really a time of relaxation, but more of a stressful period where my Granny tries to make every detail perfect. This includes the tree, in which she uses her sweet old lady charms to corner my Dad into spending half the day pulling down ancient decorations from the attic. After making sure that my Dad isn't going to flee from his designated job, she then shuffles off to my mum and her three sisters, giving them cooking tasks like choosing the desert or what to drink (which ends up having to be approved by her anyway) and running around like a chicken without a head trying to satisfy everyone in my family dietary needs. While this is happening to the adults, us (the kids) don't notice it at all. Since my family is Australian, Christmas is during the summer time, so we rush in and out, trekking sand and sea water all over the house, which my Granny efficiently vacuums up the second we slam the door shut.
"Islah!Your dripping water all over my floorboards!" said Granny as she ushered my cousins out of the house. Before I left I caught a glimpse of my Dad with his head up the attic, sneezing because of all the dust balls that had gathered on the decorations in a year.

I never used to understand why, at the end of Christmas dinner, all the parents used to collapse onto the sofa with a box of Quality streets chocolates and look like they wanted to sleep for a million years. I mean, it was Christmas! I thought waking up my parents at five in the morning to open stockings was a gift. The earlier you wake up, the longer christmas day is! However, this year, I finally understood why. Granny had knocked on our door at eight in the morning, and we all greeted her with choruses of "Merry Christmas Granny!" she hugged us all and then bustled into the kitchen, rustling pans and eggs to make a big breakfast for all of my extended family. This continued throughout the day, making lunch Granny was constantly peering over my uncle's shoulder. "Just add some more salt" she would say. By the end of lunch and present opening everyone was exhausted and sprawled out around the living room, with plates of pudding resting on stomaches and a jungle of wrapping paper surrounding everyone. I couldn't help but smile when I saw granny shaking my Grandpa awake, frowning as she did so, asking him to show her how to change the settings of the Christmas lights. Although she might cause everyone in my family to have an anxiety attack, Christmas without Granny rushing around wouldn't be christmas at all.

3 comments:

  1. You paint a very strong picture of your Granny, Islah! well done! The second paragraph is particularly effective: "I mean, it was Christmas! I thought waking up my parents at five in the morning to open stockings was a gift. The earlier you wake up, the longer christmas day is".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had very strong imagery of what happened with your family at Christmas time. Your grandma was exceptionally well characterized in my opinion. You also included some gender differences along with this story of the holidays so you incorporated both parts of the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you characterize you're grandma by using visual metaphors such as 'chicken without a head' was a good way of portraying the mood within the family. The busy, scurrying tone within this piece really sets the setting for this piece. I like the way you added the contrasting ideas of christmas from a parents vs a child's perspective.

    ReplyDelete